|Title||KOSTAT and the UNSD co-organized the International Seminar on Sustainable Development Goals|
□ KOSTAT and the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) co-organized the ‘International Seminar on Sustainable Development Goals: Data Disaggregation’ at the Westin Chosun Hotel, Seoul, Korea on November 3rd until the 4th 2016.
○ Each year since 2010, KOSTAT and the UNSD have jointly organized this seminar to contribute to and develop the discussion of international statistical community on major global agendas.
- This year, the seminar put its focus on issues related to data disaggregation, reflecting especially on vulnerable groups such as children in poverty and women. In doing so, it resonated the ‘Leave no one behind’ principle of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a set of common global goals which shall be carried out during the period between 2016 to 2030.
* The “Leave no one behind“ principle underscores the inclusiveness and participation of all nations in the global development.
○ Opening Ceremony: Opening remarks by the Commissioner of KOSTAT and the key note address by the Director of the UNSD (delivered via teleconference)
○ [Session 1] Leaving no one behind in the SDGs: Data disaggregation
○ [Sessions 2,3] National experiences and challenges in producing disaggregated data
*(Session 2) Categories of disaggregation
(Session 3) Data sources and methodologies
○ [Session 4] Innovative solutions to address the data needs of the 2030 Agenda
○ [Session 5] Addressing the data needs of the 2030 Agenda
○ [Session 6] Statistical capacity initiatives
□ This seminar targeted experienced working-level statisticians from each nation in order to facilitate an in-depth discussion on the above mentioned agenda items. 70 experts from the national statistical offices in Denmark, Columbia, Serbia and Jordan as well as international organizations and private institutions participated in the meeting.
* International organizations included the UNSD, UNICEF, UNDP and UN Women, and private institutions included the Community Systems Foundation (US), Development Initiative, Data Act Lab.
□ KOSTAT expects that the organization of this seminar will contribute to strengthening the positioning of KOSTAT in the international statistical community. In addition, it aims to promote the relationship with relevant domestic entities from private, public and academic sectors to build on the domestic cooperations and partnerships for implementing SDGs.