Press Releases > Total
|Title||Complete Enumeration Results of the 2015 Population and Housing Census|
- As of November 1st, 2015, the population of South Korea was 51,069 thousand persons. The population density was
509 persons per km2 of land area.
- The population of the Seoul Capital Area amounted to 25,274 thousand persons, which accounted for 49.5 percent of the
total population of South Korea.
- Compared to 1985, the youth population dropped by 5,188 thousand persons. The aged population rose by
4,820 thousand persons. These figures showed continuous low-birth and population aging trends.
- The median age recorded 41.2 years, which exceeded 40 years for the first time. Jeonnam became a super-aged society
by recording 21.1 percent of the aged population.
- Kim (金) topped the list of family names, which was followed by Lee (李), Park (朴), Choi (崔) and Jeong (鄭).
Top 10 family names were the same as 2000.
- The foreign nationals amounted to 1,364 thousand persons, which occupied 2.7 percent of the total population.
The Chinese nationals occupied 51.6 percent of the total foreign nationals.
- As of November 1st, 2015, the number of households totaled 19,561 thousand households. Households in the Seoul
Capital Area occupied 48.7 percent of the total households.
- The average household size was 2.53 members in 2015. One-person households became the most common type of
- One-person households occupied 27.2 percent in 2015, up 3.3%p from 23.9 percent in 2010.
- The multi-cultural households amounted to 299 thousand households. The multi-cultural household members totaled
888 thousand persons.
- The median age of household heads was 50.8 years. The share of female household heads stood at 29.6 percent,
showing an upward trend.
- Among ordinary households, apartments and detached houses occupied 48.1 percent and 35.3 percent, respectively.
- As of November 1st, 2015, the number of housing units totaled 16,367 thousand units. The number of housing units
per 1,000 population was 320.5 units.
- Apartments occupied 59.9 percent of the total housing units. Multi-unit housing units occupied 74.5 percent of the total
- Housing units of 30 years and older amounted to 2,669 thousand units, which occupied 16.3 percent of the total housing
units. Housing units of 20 years and older amounted to 7,163 thousand units, which occupied 43.8 percent of the total
- Sejong showed the highest share of uninhabited housing units at 20.3 percent. Jeonnam showed the highest share of
uninhabited housing units of 30 years and older at 49.0 percent.
※ For more information, refer to the attached file.