Press Releases > Total
|Title||Complete Enumeration Results of the 2016 Population and Housing Census|
[ Population ]
- As of November 1st, 2016, the population of South Korea was 51,270 thousand persons. The population of the Seoul
Capital Area accounted for 49.5 percent of the total population of South Korea.
- Compared to 2015, Sejong showed the highest population growth rate, which was followed by Jeju and Gyeonggi.
- The elderly population aged 65 or more (6,780 thousand persons) exceeded the youth population aged
0 to 14 (6,770 thousand persons).
- The foreign nationals in South Korea amounted to 1,410 thousand persons, which occupied 2.8 percent of the total
population. The Chinese nationals occupied 50.0 percent of the total foreign nationals.
[ Household ]
- In 2016, the number of households totaled 19,840 thousand households, increasing by 280 thousand households
(1.4%) from 2015. Households in the Seoul Capital Area occupied 48.6 percent of the total households.
- In 2016, one-person households occupied 27.9 percent of the total households, up 0.7%p from 27.2 percent in 2015.
- Households living with children aged 18 or less occupied 28.8 percent of the total households. Households living with
three children or more occupied 3.0 percent of the total households.
- Households with the elderly aged 65 or more occupied 26.2 percent of the total general households. Households
consisting of only the elderly occupied 11.6 percent of the total general households.
[ Housing ]
- As of November 1st, 2016, the number of housing units totaled 16,690 thousand units, rising by 330 thousand units
(2.0%) compared to 2015. The number of apartments was 10,030 thousand units, which occupied 60.1 percent of the
total housing units.
- In 2016, housing units of 30 years and older amounted to 2,800 thousand units, which occupied 16.8 percent of the total
housing units. Compared to 2015, housing units of 30 years and older increased by 140 thousand units.
※ For more information, refer to the attached file.