Press Releases > Total
|Title||Final Results of Birth Statistics in 2018|
- There were 326.8 thousand live births in 2018, which declined by 30.9 thousand (-8.7%) from 2017.
- The fertility rate showed a year-on-year decrease in all age groups excluding mothers aged 40~49.
- The average age of mothers giving birth to a child was 32.8 years in 2018, up 0.2 year from 2017.
- In 2018, the share of mothers giving birth to the first child within 2 years of marriage stood at 60.6%. This percentage
dropped by 5.2%p compared to 2017.
- The total fertility rate of Sejong recorded the highest figure of 1.57 children per woman, which was followed by
Jeonnam (1.24). In the meantime, the total fertility rate of Seoul recorded the lowest figure of 0.76 child per woman,
which was followed by Busan (0.90).
※ For more information, refer to the attached file.