Press Releases > Total
|Title||2018 Population and Housing Census|
- As of November 1st, 2018, the population of South Korea was 51.63 million persons. The population of the Seoul Capital
Area accounted for 49.8% of the total population of South Korea.
- Compared to 2017, Sejong showed the highest population growth rate, which was followed by Jeju and Gyeonggi.
- The youth population aged 0 ~ 14 and the working age population aged 15 ~ 64 recorded a year-on-year decrease. In the
meantime, the elderly population aged 65 or more recorded a year-on-year increase.
- The foreign nationals in South Korea amounted to 1.65 million persons, which occupied 3.2% of the total population. This
figure rose by 170 thousand persons (11.6%) compared to 2017.
- In 2018, the number of households totaled 20.50 million households, increasing by 330 thousand households (1.6%) from
2017. Households in the Seoul Capital Area took up 49.0% of the total households.
- In 2018, 1-person and 2-person households occupied 56.5% of the total households, up 1.2%p from 55.3% in 2017.
- Among general households, apartments and detached houses occupied 50.1% and 32.1%, respectively.
- The multi-cultural households amounted to 330 thousand households, which took up 1.7% of the general households.
The multi-cultural household members totaled 1.01 million persons, which accounted for 2.0% of the total household
- As of November 1st, 2018, the number of housing units totaled 17.63 million units, rising by 510 thousand units (3.0%)
compared to 2017. The number of apartments was 10.83 thousand units, which occupied 61.4% of the total housing
- In 2018, housing units constructed 20 years ago or more amounted to 8.40 million units, which occupied 47.7% of the
total housing units. This figure increased by 440 thousand units from 2017.
※ For more information, refer to the attached file.