|Title||Private Education Expenditures Survey of Elementary, Middle and High School Students in 2018|
- The total private education expenditures of elementary, middle and high school students marked 19.5 trillion won in 2018,
which rose by 4.4% from 2017. The private education participation rate stood at 72.8% in 2018, up 1.7%p from 2017. The
weekly participation hours recorded 6.2 hours per student in 2018, which grew by 0.1 hour from 2017.
- The average monthly private education expenditures per student marked 291 thousand won in 2018. The average
monthly private education expenditures per participation student marked 399 thousand won in 2018.
- The average monthly private education expenditures on general subjects amounted to 213 thousand won per student in
2018, up 7.6% from 2017. The average monthly private education expenditures on general subjects amounted to
398 thousand won per participation student in 2018, up 5.1% from 2017.
- As for the average monthly private education expenditures, the share of students spending 700 thousand won or more
showed the highest increase (1.6%p↑), which was followed by those spending 600 thousand won ~ less than
700 thousand won (0.6%p↑).
- The higher household income level, the higher education expenditures and participation rate.
- 'Dual income households' recorded the highest private education expenditures. The smaller number of children, the higher
private education expenditures.
- As for private education of general subjects by purpose, 'Preparation for higher school level', 'Study in advance' and
'Makeup for classes' showed an increase. As for private education of artistic and physical skills, 'Hobbies, culture and
development of ability' and 'Preparation for higher school level' showed an increase.
- The after-school program participation rate stood at 51.0%. The language course participation rate stood at 0.5%.
※ For more information, refer to the attached file.