|Title||Population Prospects of Koreans and Foreigners based on the 2019 Population Projections: 2017~2040|
- In 2020, the total population* of South Korea was 51.78 million persons. The number of Koreans was 50.05 million persons, which
occupied 96.7% of the total population. The number of foreigners was 1.73 million persons, which occupied 3.3% of the total population.
- The share of Koreans of working age is projected to drop from 71.5% in 2020 to 55.6% in 2040.
- The elderly Korean population aged 65 or more is projected to increase by over 2 times from 8.03 million persons in 2020 to 16.66 million
persons in 2040.
- The total dependency ratio is projected to increase from 39.8 persons in 2020 to 79.7 persons per 100 people of working age.
- The population with migrant background* is projected to rise from 2.22 million persons in 2020 to 3.52 million persons in 2040. The share
of the population with migrant background is projected to rise from 4.3% in 2020 to 6.9% in 2040.
- Among the population with migrant background, the school-age population aged 6~21 is projected to increase by more than 1.8 times
from 270 thousand persons in 2020 to 490 thousand persons in 2040.
※ For more information, refer to the attached file.