- Wholly Amended by
- Amended by
- Act No. 8387, Apr. 27, 2007
- Act No. 8541, Jul. 23, 2007
- Act No. 9284, Dec. 31, 2008
- Act No. 9557, Apr. 1, 2009
- Act No. 10196, Mar. 31, 2010
- Act No. 11553, Dec. 18, 2012
- Act No. 12571, May. 14, 2014
- Act No. 12844, Nov. 19, 2014
- Act No. 13818, Jan. 27, 2016
- Act No. 14467, Dec. 27, 2016
- Act No. 14839, Jul. 26, 2017
- Act No. 14843, Aug. 9, 2017
- Act No. 14839, Jun. 9, 2020
Approval for Compiling Statistics
- The agencies compiling the official statistics shall obtain in advance the approval from the Commissioner of the Statistics Korea. Approval should also be obtained in case of suspension or alteration of approved statistics.
Obligation to Report a Designated Statistical Survey
- An agency which conducts a designated census or survey may be obliged to report on the respondents. Penal regulations are provided for non-observance of this obligation.
- Data collection by the statistical agencies must carry a legal guarantee of protection of the confidentiality of individuals. Private information obtained from individuals, juridical persons or bodies in the process of the compilation of statistics shall be kept confidential
Prohibition of the Use of Data for Other than Statistical Purposes
- The utilization of statistical data collected for designated or general statistics is prohibited for anything other than statistical purposes.
Consultation and Approval of the Statistical Results for Publication
- The head of agencies compiling official statistics shall immediately submit the results of these statistics to the Commissioner of the Statistics Korea. After consultation with the commissioner and upon his approval, the results shall be published. This provision aims at not only ensuring the timely publication of results, but also securing the truthfulness of official statistics.
The Quality Evaluation on Official Statistics
- In order to reinforce the credibility of official statistics, the Statistics Korea will perform quality evaluations on the compilation and dissemination of official statistics both regularly and irregularly.
The Use of Administrative Data and Taxation Data
- The commissioner of the Statistics Korea can require the use of administrative data of other administrative organizations and the taxation data can be utilized in the compilation of statistics due to the revision of the Framework Act on National Taxes(2009.2).
Please click here to refer to the whole text of the Statistics Act