Coordination of Statistical Activities
- Redundancy, omission of statistics and inconsistency between statistics compiled by various agencies may
occur under a decentralized system. To preclude these problems of the decentralized statistical system,
KOSTAT, as a central statistical agency, plays a leading role in integrating and coordinating the
statistical activities of about 303 governmental and 94 non-governmental agencies authorized by the
Establishment of Statistical Standards and Classifications
- To improve the comparability and consistency of statistics, KOSTAT standardizes statistical terms and
classifications. These classifications include the Korean Standard Industrial Classification(KSIC), the
Korean Standard Classification of Occupations(KSCO), the Korean Standard Classification of
Diseases(KCD), the Standard Korean Trade Classification(SKTC), etc.
Compilation and Analysis of the Basic National Statistics
- KOSTAT also plays a role as a major producer of statistics by conducting 40 kinds of censuses and
surveys which mainly focus on socio-economic and demographic fields, such as Census on Establishments,
and Population Census, etc. In addition, KOSTAT compiles 15 kinds of analytic statistics and 2 kinds of
Dissemination of Statistical Information
- One of the major functions performed by KOSTAT is to provide the statistical data for a variety of users
such as policy-makers, governmental planners, administrators, researchers at research institutes,
universities, political parties, enterprises, individuals, etc. The provision of statistical data is
made through various means of publicity such as publications, CDs, on-line database system(KOSIS),
Statistical Datawarehouse system, MDSS(Micro Data Service System), tabulation for special requests, etc.
Statistical Quality Assessment
- A statistical quality assessment system, which is, now in place in Korea can be summed up as a
combination of the statistical inspector system and the quality assessment checklist scheme. Since the
revision of the Statistics Act in 2007, the rotational assessment and self-assessment are being carried
out every 5 years and every year, respectively.
Statistical Training and Research
- The Statistical Training Institute (STI) trains annually around 3,600 persons from both governmental and
non-governmental agencies. Its training curriculum includes several courses on basic and advanced
statistics, sampling technique, computer technology, survey methodology, etc.
- The Statistical Research Institute (SRI) has contributed to the advancement of National Statistics
through statistical research and development. The SRI conducts research projects required to develop new
statistics and statistical techniques to improve the quality of national statistics. It also conducts
in-depth analysis of statistical data.
International Statistical Cooperation
- KOSTAT actively participates in international and regional conferences as well as projects on
statistics. KOSTAT hosts international conferences on statistics and related fields. In addition, KOSTAT
regularly receives statistical obligations and sends its work-results to international organizations and
other countries. It also provides statistical data and replies to statistical inquires from
international organizations and other countries.
너비 1640px 이상
너비 1639px - 1180px
너비 768px - 1179px
너비 767px 이하