□ Overview of Business Trip
○ (Purpose) To participate in the Azerbaijan ODA project completion conference, have a high- level meeting with the President of Azerbaijan
and sign a MoU for statistical cooperation
○ (Dates and Location) December 09, 2019 (Mon.) ∼ December 13, 2019 (Fri.) / Baku, Azerbaijan
○ (Participants) KOSTAT Commissioner and five officials
□ Major Activities
○ Official Visit to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
- (Date/Location) December 11, 2019 (Wed.) 14:35-15:05, at the President's office in Baku
- During the Meeting, both parties confirmed the achievements of the project and their willingness to engage in continued cooperation in
- Azerbaijani President Ilham Heydar oglu Aliyev highly regarded the technological assistance delivered by Statistics Korea and thanked
for the contribution made to the successful project. Also, President hoped to continue to receive support from Korea as Azerbaijan is
committed to making efforts to develop statistics which comply with international standards.
- Commissioner Kang Shin-wook emphasized that President Aliyev's keen interest and support greatly contribute to the statistical
cooperation between Azerbaijan and Korea, and that Azerbaijan’s ASAN* services and SDGs statistics are very impressive, providing
lessons that Korea can learn from.
○ Participation in 「Azerbaijan ODA Project Completion Conference」
- (Date/ Location) December 11, 2019 (Wed.) 09:30 ~ 13:00, Hilton Baku Hotel
- (Main Activities) Gave local media interviews, made a congratulatory speech and signed a MoU for statistical cooperation
- [Media Interview] Commissioner Kang Shin-wook explained that the purpose of the visit was attending to attend the two-year project
completion conference and confirm the achievements of bilateral cooperation, and spoke about the importance of bilateral statistical
- [Congratulatory Speech] Commissioner Kang noted that the project laid a foundation for a stronger bilateral cooperation and the MoU
signed on statistical cooperation is expected to provide momentum for systematic promotion of future projects, and suggested that
both countries make greater efforts to enhance their national standing in the international community.
○ Visit to Baku Regional Statistical Office and Baku ASAN service center No.3 (December 12)
- (Baku Regional Statistical Office) Confirmed the importance of the role of regional statistics offices, which are the starting point for
national statistics, and the necessity of including 'capacity building for staff in regional statistics offices' as part of statistical
cooperation with Azerbaijan, and hoped to develop a constructive partnership.
- (Baku “ASAN service” center No.3) The ASAN service center suggested working together to upgrade its public services including
statistical service. In response, KOSTAT mentioned that there should be opportunities to cooperate with the center, and KOSTAT will
look into how it can be of help.
○ (Korean Media) Interviewed by the Korea Times and others
○ (Azerbaijani Local Media) Covered by ZERTAG(in English), AZERTAG(in Azerbaijani), AZ TV, REAL TV, CBC, BIRBASA, etc.